Monday, September 28, 2009

The First Brew - Day 1

I picked up all my supplies from Jim's Homebrew on Tuesday and on Sunday it was brew day. The ingredients came with kit. There isn't much info on the ingredients or what type of beer this is supposed to make so the result should be kind of a surprise. It looks like it's going to be an amber or brown ale.

The Recipe

3.3 lbs. Munton's Light Malt Syrup
2 lbs. Extra-Light Briess Dry Malt
.5 lbs. Dry Malt/Malto-Dextrine Blend
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt
.5 oz. Cascade Hops
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Brewed: 9/27/2009
Secondary: 10/7/2009

OG: 1.049


The Brew


I started by steeping the crystal malt.

Here's the wort after I added the malt syrup and dry malt extract.

Hops!

Primary Fermentation

The mixed solution had a sweet milky flavor. I felt like I didn't add enough water after my first hydrometer reading so I topped it off and took another. Hopefully that won't be an issue. The specific gravity looks to be about 1.049. It will be interesting to see how consistent the temperature in my laundry room stays overnight. When I went to bed the mixture was around 72 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment